These cookies are amazing, they will literally melt in your mouths.Let say I tried out so many recipe and this one is amazing and of course I found it true one of my dear friend from A pinch of Italy blog one of my favorite.
These cookies are a great gift for Christmas,Easter or any other occasion.You can put them in a nice box and they last long,also if you have kids I suggest to make it with them they would love it, trust me.
- 500 gr salted butter, softened
- 200 gr golden caster sugar, plus more to sprinkle
- 500 gr plain flour, plus more to dust
- 250 gr cornflour or rice flour
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC/fan 160ºC/340ºF/gas mark 31/2.
- Cream together the butter and sugar, then sift in the flour and cornflour gradually, mixing briefly between each addition, until it binds together. Flour your hands and gently knead until just smooth (do not over-work).
- To make the dough easier to roll – and if you have time – wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- On a floured board, roll out the dough to 5–6mm thick, then cut into your chosen shapes. If the shortbread is to be frozen, lay the biscuits between sheets of baking parchment in a freezer container. They need to be defrosted for 1 hour before baking.
- Place the shortbread on 2 baking sheets lined with baking parchment and cook for 15–20 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar, then cool for 10 minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack.
Makes about 60 biscuits
Add any of these to the butter and sugar before adding the flour:
- vanilla: seeds of 1 vanilla pod and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- orange-cardamom: zest of 1 orange, finely grated, and ½ tsp freshly ground cardamom seeds, sifted
- lemon-lavender: zest of 1 unwaxed lemon, finely grated, and 4 tsp fresh lavender flowers
- cinnamon: 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- coffee: 1 tbsp instant or filter coffee dissolved in 1 tsp boiling water
- salt and pepper: 24 turns of a pepper mill, or to taste; also sprinkle more pepper on top with the caster sugar