Pasta and Potatoes soup is a typical dish that comes from my parents hometown Naples. It’s a simple dish that uses basic ingredients and belong to a poor and humble tradition. It’s a very starchy soup and I considered a comfort food!
I was born in Naples but I grew up in North Italy, my mom used to make this dish a lot especially when it was rainy and cold outside! She used to say ” well today it’s raining so it’s a perfect day for pasta and potatoes”.
When I moved to Vancouver I started to cook by myself for my husband trying to offer him all the amazing dishes that my mom taught me. The weather was rainy every day so for a week, every day, we had Pasta and Potatoes soup. At the 6th day my husband asked me ” Can you please tell me why you make this soup everyday? It’s very delicious BUT every day? ” Well, I replied, my mom used to make this dish when it was raining so I would love to keep the same tradition”
He was laughing so hard, of course, because Vancouver it’s a rainy city and it does rain a lot, all the time so it can be Pasta and Potatoes soup every day. Back then I didn’t know the weather situation here. Now my husband tells this story to everybody, to all my friends. Actually, when I did my audition for Master Chef Canada, he did suggest I bring Pasta and potatoes….. I should have done that.
Now here is the recipe that you can make today, that is a rainy day, or any other day that you need comfort food. It’s incredibly good, creamy and it will warm your heart.
Ingredients for 4 people:
- 200 grams of pasta small cut like ditalini, small shells or broken spaghetti
- 500 grams potatoes cut in small pieces
- 50 grams pancetta or bacon ( if you don’t like it it’s ok)
- Soffritto( carrots, onion and celery chopped fine)
- 1 tomato cut in pieces
- 1 bouillon
- 5 tablespoons of oil
- Parmesan Crust ( if you don’t have it it’s ok)
- Parmesan cheese
- A sprinkle of love
Cut the celery, onion and carrot in small pieces.
- Put them in a pan whit some oil and let them stir fry for few minutes.
- Cut the potatoes in cubes, not too small, and add them to the vegetables.
- Stir fry everything for a minute, now you can water! The water has to cover all the vegetables. Add the tomato and a bouillon. Cook everything on a medium high heat and when it does start to boil low the temperature down on a low heat and cover with a lid. The potatoes has to cook slowly for 30 minutes or more. Sometimes gently stir the potatoes.
- After that you can add the pasta and the Parmesan Crust, if you need you can add another glass of water and cook everything in low medium without lid! The water need to dry out and become a nice cream.
- When it’s ready add a drizzle of oil and serve with Parmesan cheese!
- Buon appetito