Crostata/ Italian jam Pie is one of the most popular desserts in Italy. It’ s a classic nonna’s dessert, every nonna has a personal recipe, full if secrets and lots of love.
The recipe that I want to share with with today belongs to my dear mother in law, my kids grandma, that recently passed from a terrible desiese. This was the cake that she used to make for me at all my birthday, any family celebration and every time I asked for it.
Thinking about this marvellous cake, I still remember 10 years ago in one of my trip to Italy from Vancouver, my mother in law decided to make me a Crostata for the trip, just to make my trip a little bit sweeter ( i was traveling with small kids). The trip was definitely sweeter, her Crostata was very popular on the plain, in fact all the hostesses loved it and even my sister was lucky enough to try a piece! For this recipe I use homemade jam, but you can use whatever you prefer and whatever you have available!
- 300 grams flour
- 120 grams sugar
- 120 grams butter at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 yolk
- Lemon zest
- 2 Teaspoon of baking powder
- Lemon zest
- A pinch of salt
- A sprinkle of love
- Small jar of jam
- In a bowl mix the flour, the sugar and the pinch of salt, make a hole, and add the butter at room temperature cut in pieces, add the eggs, the lemon zest and the baking powder.
- Mix very well until the dough is nice and smooth.
- Put it in the fridge for 1 hour covered with plastic.
- Get your 12 inch round pan buttered and turn the oven on at 350.
- Roll the dough out to about ¼ and ½ inch thick without working it too much. I suggest covering the dough with plastic wrap so it won’t stick on your rolling pin.
- Set the dough on your pan, remembering to leave a small piece for the strips.
- Spread the jam on the dough and reroll the pieces for the strips or hearts or stars! Whatever you prefer.
- Put the strips on the jam the way that you like.
- Bake the crostata for 30/40 minutes or until is nice and brown.
- Do not over bake otherwise it will become hard like a rock.
- Buon Appetito.